Visit and Service Information
Use the Library's Collections or Find Assistance
The collections of the John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library focus on the history and culture of colonial British America, the American Revolution, and the early United States. Unique to the library is the body of research on the buildings, people, trades, and material culture of 18th-century Williamsburg.
The Library is open from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. The general public is welcome to visit the library and use our research resources. However, outside researchers should be aware that in-depth reference services may be limited. Library materials circulate to Colonial Williamsburg Foundation staff and volunteers and to faculty, staff, and students of the College of William and Mary.
Visit or contact the library, or select one the library departments below for more information.
- Corporate Archives documents the administrative, business, and legal history of the Restoration and the Foundation.
- Special Collections houses the Foundation's valuable manuscripts, rare books, maps, and architectural materials. Appointments are available Monday through Friday.
- Visual Resources provides reference assistance for those wishing to conduct picture research, order reproductions, or secure permission to exhibit or publish images. Appointments are available Monday through Friday.
Subjects in Our Collections
Major topics covered by materials from the Library include:
- The American Revolution
- Architecture of colonial America
- American and English decorative arts
- American folk art
- 18th-century life and culture
Resources at the Library
We encourage scholars to visit and use our collections. Inquiries of a scholarly nature are welcome, but our ability to respond to general reference questions is limited.
Public computers are available at the Library for access to the online catalog and other resources. Wireless internet access is also available.
The Williamsburg Research Library Consortium
The Library is part of the Williamsburg Research Library Consortium, and we share access to a common library catalog. While each library shares the same core catalog, they maintain separate online presences and catalog interfaces. Our member libraries are:
Phone (757) 221-3255